Featured Speaker Session Materials
- The Future Requires Unlearning, Jack Uldrich, Renowned Global Futurist [Plenary]
- The Art & Science of Unlearning, Jack Uldrich, Renowned Global Futurist [Session]
- Achieving Medicine of the Highest Order: Cultural Transformation Based on "Horton Hears a Who", Bradford C. Berk, MD, PhD, CEO, University of Rochester Medical Center
- Polarity Thinking: A Look Within for greater Self-Knowledge [Plenary] Margaret Seidler, MPS, Polarity Management Master.
- Polarity Management Blank Map [pdf]
- Polarity Thinking A Look Within -Handout [pdf]
- Professional Leadership Preferences worksheet [Word doc]
- Polarity Thinking: A Look across RIT, [Session] Margaret Seidler, MPS, Polarity Management Master
RIT Faculty/Staff Presentations
- Connect@RIT: Connectivity: It's Not Just Who You Know, It's What Your Social Network Knows, Carol Marchetti (COS/SMS), John-Paul Hatala (CAST)
- Connect@RIT: Working Together to Succeed: How will RIT change as a result of the Connect@RIT project? Margaret Bailey (KGCOE), Kijana Crawford (COLA), Wendy Dannels (NTID), Susan Foster (NTID), John-Paul Hatala (CAST), Carol Marchetti (COS/SMS), Maureen Valentine (CAST)
- MAGIC: A One-of-a-Kind Approach (The RIT Center for Media, Arts, Games, Interaction & Creativity), Andy Phelps (MAGIC)
- Toward a Sustainable University: The Campus as a Canvas, Enid Cardinal (President's office), Kelly Norris Martin (COLA), Dominique Lepoutre (NTID), Tom Trabold (GIS), David Royka (CIAS), Richard Stein (FMS), , Kurt Ingerick (FMS)
- Finding Time for Wellness, Joe Delgado, Jacques-Luis Nodar (Better Me Employee Fitness Program)
- Writing Habits: From 15 Minutes a Day to Peer Writing Groups, David Martins (COLA)
Featured Speaker Workshop Materials
- Innovative Course Review (YouTube video), Dr. Mya Poe, Dr. Robbie Melton, Dr. Wendy Newstetter
- Innovative Writing Intensive Courses: Innovation, Iteration, Improvement, Dr. Mya Poe (handouts.zip)
- Technology Enhancements for Blended and Online Classes, Dr. Robbie Melton (mobile app list.pdf)
- Problem-driven Learning: A Model for Evolving Innovative Classroom Designs, Dr. Wendy Newstetter
RIT and Regional Faculty Presentations
- Rigorous Research in STEM Education Faculty Learning Community, Robert Garrick (RIT-CAST)
- Oral Final Exams - Rediscovering this Untapped Assessment Tool, Catherine Beaton, (RIT-GCCIS)
- Global Context, Content and Citizenship in the University Curriculum, David Martins, (RIT-CoLA), Stan Van Horn (RIT-Student Affairs), Global Faculty Learning Community (FLC) Participants
- Paradigm Shift: Effect of Sweeping Changes in 3D Computer Modeling Technology on Curriculum Development Implementation, David Halbstein, Shaun Foster (RIT-CIAS)
- RIT BookBag: A Fresh Look at Knowledge Sharing and Collaboration in the Classroom, Michael Riordan (RIT-CIAS)
- Transforming Materials Education in Mechanical Engineering Technology, Betsy Dell (RIT-CAST), Spencer Kim (RIT-CAST)
- YouTube Tutorials as an Education Tool, Lisa Bloom, (New York Chiropractic College)
- Plagiarism Policing or Pedagogy: Teaching Research-Based Writing in the Age of Copy & Paste, Paulette Swartzfager (RIT-CoLA), Dianna Winslow (RIT-CoLA), Lara Nicosia (RIT-TWC), Shelly Jansen (RIT-CoLA)
- Increase Nursing Student Engagement and Interaction through Mental Health Courses, Akhtar Ghassemi (Nazareth College)
- Commercializing Virtual Worlds: Reflecting on Pedagogical Approaches, Neil Hair (RIT-SCB)
- Best Practices for Promoting Interaction with Diverse Characteristics, Michael Stinson (RIT-NTID), Susan Foster (RIT-NTID)
- IETC: What Faculty Are Saying About Designing Innovative Courses, Jeanne Christman (RIT-CAST), Keith Jenkins (RIT-CoLA)
- Media Analysis: Using 'In Media Res' as a Model for Undergraduate Writing, Jeremy Sarachan, St. John Fisher College)
- TRiLE - Ensuring Student Engagement and Success, Larry Villasmil (RIT-CAST), Robert Garrick (RIT-CAST)
- Big Bird in the Classroom: How Twitter and Other Social Media Can Improve Learning, Mike Johansson (RIT-CoLA), Hinda Mandell (RIT-CoLA), Victor Perotti (RIT-SCB)
- Educating Scholars from Day One, Harvey Pough, Dina Newman, Anne Houtman, Gary Skuse, Kate Wright (RIT-COS)
- Building a Professional Online Presence, (RIT-GCCIS)
- Infusing Inquiry-Based Learning and Digital Ethnography into a Capstone Course, Jonathan Lawrence (Canisius College)
- Through the Transcontinental Looking Glass: 1st Year Global Collaboration, Jessica Hooper, Maureen Barry (RIT-SLSA/ASC)
- The Classroom Experience as a Consulting Firm, Nancy Becerra-Cordoba (RIT-CoLA)
- DiPietro Keynote: Understanding Learning--The Key to Generating Effective Teaching Strategies
- Role of a Health Care Simulation Center in Advancing Interprofessional Critical Thinking Skills
- Using Cinematic techniques to Create Eureka Moments and Better Lectures
- 2010 RIT Faculty Learning Community
- Critical Thinking Through Art-Making
- Mentoring the Mind-Neuropedagogy & Cognitive Skills Development
- The Good Class and the Not So Good
- How to Annoy Your Department Chair
- Universal Access and Efficacy of DL for Deaf/HI Students
- To Revise and Improve Writing
- To Revise and Improve Writing Handout
- Academic Integrity in the Classroom and Professional Activities
- Using Discussion Boards to Develop Critical Thinkers
- Collaborative Simulations - A Powerful Student Learning Experience
- Supplementing Classroom Instruction with Pencasts
- Infusing Student Scholarship into Classroom Engagement
- Dawn Soufleris: Teaching Students in the Millennial Age
- Dr. George Kuh: What Matters to Student Success: The Promise of High-Impact Practices (.PPT format)
- Dr. George Kuh: High-Impact Practices and the Theory-to-Practice Project
- Laurie Ackles & Sue Ackerman: Supporting students with executive functioning and social communication issues
- Ben Woelk: Safe Use of Social Media (1) (2) (3)
- Dan Hickey & Paula French: Integrating study skills into curriculum
- Ed Holden & Diane Bills: Teaching in the Cloud
- Tom Simpson: Using student-created video to create understanding
- Julia Postler, Nazareth College: Why a Wiki?
- Jessica Hooper, Katie McDonald & Ian Webber: Technology Toss-up
- Sara Bayerl, Paula French & Robyn Reafler: Building your academic support toolkit
- Sue Barnes & Chris Egert: Do social networks promote social relationships?
- Sue Barnes & Neil Hair: Effective online teaching: Success and failures
- Linette Koren & Sue Mee: High-tech cheating
- Carol Marchetti & Derek Darling: A data-driven approach to course improvements
- Marilyn Walker: A Comparative Study of Deaf and Minority College Composition Teaching Strategies at RIT
- Dr. David Yearwood: CEE - Connection, engagement and empowerment (1) (2)
- Rob Garrick: The Impact of Tablet PC's on a Pneumatics and Hydraulics Class
- Doug Guiffrida: The African American Student Experience at Predominantly White Colleges: Implications for Educators and Advisors
- Doug Guiffrida: Preparing and Supporting African American College Students
- Karl Korfmacher: Environmental Literacy Phase II � Developing a Ponderosa Project at RIT
- Richard Morales: Is It Nature or Nurture?
- Doug Robertson: Keynote: Avoiding Chronic Overload -- Toward a Sane Productivity
- Doug Robertson: Why We Don�t Change (even when we want to)
- Keith Sawyer: Innovation in Engineering Education Case Study (Requires DCE login)
- Keith Sawyer: Creativity, Innovation, and the New Sciences of Learning (Requires DCE login)
- Ben Woelk: Creating Road Warriors: Preparing Students for Tomorrow by Integrating Digital Self Defense into Online, Blended and Instructor-led Courses
- Stephen Jacobs/Katie McDonald: Second Life and Education, Serious Play�s the Thing
- Lorraine Hems: Wine Tasting Session documents | Document 1 | Document 2
- Varda Main/Jennifer Freer: Publishing Research and Protecting Intellectual Property � Isn�t that an Oxymoron?
- Panel: Barnes, Donovan, Howles, Venkataraman, Whittington: RIT�s Research on Pedagogy - Faculty Projects
- Tom Voss: Identification of Occupational Tasks for Curriculum Development
- Jeff Porter, Susan Donovan, Marie Giardino, Sidonie Roepke, John Weas: Fostering Effective Learning Mindsets With Our Students - Beyond Content Learning
- Marianne Buehler: Know Your Author Rights - Don�t Give Them Up and Start Up Your Own Open Access Journal
- Irene Evans/Faculty Learning Community: Using a Cooperative Learning Approach for Effective Teaching in a Large Class
- Chris Anson: Magna Paper Columns | Saskatoon Paper
- Tom Brown : Luncheon Keynote -- Reconsidering Institutional Excellence and Individual Success | VIDEO
- Tom Brown : Advice that Matters -- What Do Students Hear and Remember?
- Tom Brown : One-to-One Teaching and Advising -- Developing Effective Relationships With Students
- Todd Zakrajsek: Understanding Student Behavior and Creating Effective Learning Environments | VIDEO
- Todd Zakrajsek: How Students Learn -- Strategies for Teaching from the Psychology of Learning | VIDEO
- Gerard Puccio: Tapping into Our Creative Thinking Skills to Manage Complex Problems
- Gerard Puccio: Creative Thinking: An Imperative for Higher Education in America
- Kurt Stoskopf: 2005-2006 Faculty Learning Community
- Sharon Cramer: Challenging Your Professional Vision
- Stefi Baum: Interdisciplinary Research and Education on the College Campus
- Varda Main, Marianne Buehler: Intellectual Property in Teaching & Learning -- Ownership, Fair Use and Commercialization
- RIT Provost Dr. Stan McKenzie addresses FITL 2005 attendees concerning the Scholarship Emphasis at RIT - WATCH Video [Real Player required - Get Free Player]
- Belinda Bryce: A Practical Approach to Effective Academic Advising
- Dick Doolittle, Catherine Beaton: Today�s Millennium Generation Student through the Eyes of a Gen-X�er and Baby Boomer
- Kit Mayberry: The Role of Faculty for Student Success
- Jane Munt: Brain-Based Learning: How Students Learn
- David Neumann, Roberta Klein, Sara Schley: Best Practices for Generating Effective Class Interaction
- Kathleen Scott: Counseling and Advising: Building Partnerships
- Benjamin Varela: Faculty Learning Communities: Student�s Active Learning and Participation in Class
- Keith Whittington: The Circle of Scholarship
- Tom Barker - "Editing Video"
- Tom Barker - "Leading Online Chat Sessions"
- Tom Barker - "Grading Exams & Quizzes Online in FirstClass
- Tom Brown Keynote - "What Do We Say To Students About Failure"
- Tom Brown - "Supporting the Development & Achievement of Students of Color"
- Marianne Buehler, Cheryl Herdklotz - "A Digital World Means a Changing Classroom"
- John Cox - "Never Mind the 'A' Word: Focus on Learning!"
- Emilio Dilorenzo - "RIT Email Replacement"
- Tom Moran - "Online Class Publications"
- Joan Naturale, Pam Conley, Simon Ting - "NTID Writing Support with Idea Tools"
- Sara Schley, Mike Stinson - "Diverse Needs in the Classroom: myCourses, Communication and Co-teaching"
- Mike Yacci - "Game Based Learning: An Introduction"
FITL 2013 Photos View More >